This one’s for the coaches, parents…and always my wonderful athletes!-
This is a great mind blowing exercise I have been giving to coaches of gyms that you could use for your athletes to give them back some personal power– works well with a few athletes, so maybe try it when your athlete has a few gym friends around:
STEP 1: Ask your athlete the following:
- What is your favorite skill?
- How do you feel when you do that skill?
- When you feel that way, what does it make you want to do?
- *if this truly is their favorite skill, then most likely they will want to do more which will lead to increasing confidence and possibly mastering that skill and possibly upgrading that skill. Make sure they see that enjoying a skill leads to doing more of that skill.
STEP 2: Ask the athletes if there are any who DONT like to do that same skill (Athlete B). There are usually a few. Ask Athlete B the following:
- Why don’t you like that skill
- How do you feel when you work on that skill or how would you feel if a coach assigned you 10 of that skill?
- When you feel that way, what do you do/don’t you do?
- *If you have picked an athlete (Athlete B) who doesn’t like the skill that Athlete A chose, then you will be able to complete this well.
STEP 3: Tell the athletes:*Notice that when you feel something negative, you will not want to do more of that skill. You may hesitate, take a bathroom break, water break, stall at the chalkbox, let other girls go before you. *Ask: What is the difference between these two athletes? The difference is what the two athletes are thinking about the skill. The skill (whatever Athlete A chose) is just a skill.
*KEY POINT: SKILLS CAN NEVER MAKE YOU FEEL ANYTHING. A skill is not good or bad, right or wrong. We all agree that this certain skill is called a ________ (Athlete A’s fav skill). It doesn’t and cannot inject excitement into Athlete A and fear into Athlete B.
*So, what is the difference?
*Always you mind. What you think about that skill will determine how you will feel. How you feel will ALWAYS determine what action you will or wont take. IT’S NOT THE BEAM, VAULT, BARS OR FLOORS RESPONSIBILITY TO MAKE YOU HAPPY. That power is all yours. Own it! Decide HOW you want to feel on each skill and watch what happens!
Hope this helps some athlete. It empowers my weekly virtual group, so I decided to use it at a few camps these past few weeks and have had some great reviews. See if it helps empower your girls to own their actions and results.
Let me know if you need any clarification. Just pop on FlippinAwesomeCoaching.com and schedule a free chat!
have an amazing day,
Pro Athlete Coach
Certified Mental Performance Specialist